Friends of Whitman County Library
October 08, 2013
The October meeting was called to order by Vice President Sue Hallett at 11:05 AM.
We met Debi Hergert, our new processing and mending professional. She replaces Janet Nastasi.
Previous month’s minutes: were read by Claudia Rollins and approved as read, with the amendment that Zombie Fest has been moved to October 30 due to a scheduling conflict.
Treasurer’s report: Peggy Bryan reviewed our finances. LaCrosse has had some photos taken. The FOL also purchased a sink and countertop for the Endicott branch renovation that was not covered by other funding. The report was approved as read.
Library card sign-up month: Our prize drawing netted Duane McCauley of St. John and Rosie Schleuneger of Colfax as winners of the $25 gift certificates.
1. Correspondence: Kristie read us a letter she had prepared to the Gifted Grannies of Rosalia thanking them for the $2,000 toward the new roof at the Rosalia branch.
2. Bequests and Memorials: Monies have been received in memory of Bettie Steiger, Ed and Helen Widman, Andy Cain, Larry Brown, Mavis Dickerson (St. John), Marjorie Elder (Garfield), and Mary Sue Thompson. As Ms. Thompson had previously served on the Board, it was moved, seconded and passed that Kristie purchase flowers for her funeral service.
3. Library Supporter of the Month: September was Kathy Merry of Garfield. October will be Donna Bird of Tekoa for her support of the Children’s Programs.
4. National Friends of the Library Week is October 20-26. Kristie thanked us all for our support and participation.
5. The “Everybody Reads” luncheon will be November 14 at the Colfax Methodist Church in conjunction with the monthly Rotary meeting. The author will make a presentation on the CCC, and have a discussion following. Reservations are $10 for the catered lunch.
6. Washington Health Benefit Exchange and libraries. There will be a presentation regarding the Affordable Care Act on October 24. There is also a link on our website and handouts available. November will see workshops to assist with sign-ups.
7. Microsoft IT Academy begins on November 13, with online coursework that can be taken any time after that date, to assist participants in becoming certified in Microsoft programs. The academy is sponsored by a grant from the Washington State Libraries and Microsoft .
8. Colfax Winter Celebration, Santa, and journal sales. Winter celebration will be Thursday, December 5. Janet Leifer will be taking photos with Santa. Jim Birdall will again be Santa and Kristie requested a gift certificate to Rosauer’s in the amount of $50 as a thank you for his services over the years. It was moved, seconded and passed. Kristie expressed a desire to have more journals available as potential Christmas gifts, as well as cookbooks. We will again support the Firemen’s Toy Drive with our book box.
9. Branch update: Garfield needs a new librarian. Clancy was absent.
10. Youth Services update: Storytime has resumed after summer vacation. “Play and Learn” in Colfax and LaCrosse is a FFN program, sponsored by the Department of Early Learning through Child Care Aware of Eastern Washington. Third Thursday has also resumed.
11. Calendar: Kristie pointed out a number of events. The remaining Cultural Exploration Series are the next two Wednesdays. October 15 will see a Voter’s Forum on 517 and 522. November 24 will have an informational meeting on the Affordable Care Act. Wanda and Patti will be making a presentation on the Rural Heritage project on October 26. October 27 will see an historic re-enactment at the Jones School sponsored by the Historical Society.
Peggy will be attending the WALE Conference (Washington Association of Libraries) and asked for donations for a raffle basket. She is planning a “tea” basket and also would like contributions to the wine raffle. It was moved, seconded and passed to provide $20 to these efforts.
Claudia reported on her experiences as a docent for the recent 50th class reunion tour of the Perkins House and distribution of the Rural Heritage bookmarks.
Next meeting will be Tuesday, November 5, at 11 AM.
Meeting was adjourned at 11:45 AM.
Respectfully submitted, Claudia Rollins
Sue Hallet Claudia Rollins Cheryl Jones Debi Hergert Patti Cammack Kristie Kirkpatrick Sheri Miller Peggy Bryan
For more information, contact:
Kristie Kirkpatrick at 509-397-4366
For a complete list of events and programs happening in all fourteen Whitman County Library branches, visit the Whitman County Library website or the library's events calendar or call the library at 397-4366 or 877-733-3375 toll-free.