Whitman County Library
Board of Trustees Meeting
Colfax Branch
October 19, 2010

 

Present: Jon Kehne, Teresa Myott, John Aune, Becky Dickerson, Leslee Miller, Kristie Kirkpatrick, Holly Meyer and Peggy Bryan.

John Aune, board chair, called the meeting to order at 4:40 p.m. at the Colton Library. The minutes of the previous meetings were reviewed. Teresa made a motion to accept the minutes and Jon seconded. The motion carried.

Peggy presented the financial reports. She presented vouchers #10783-10835 totaling $17,038.10 from the general fund and vouchers #1055-1059 from the construction fund totaling $6,401.86. Becky made a motion to approve the vouchers for payment. Jon seconded and the motion passed. She also reviewed the construction fund deposits and expenditures to date.

Kristie presented the circulation reports for September. Overall circulation was up 1596. Colton, Farmington, Garfield, Malden, Oakesdale, Palouse and Colfax had increases in circulation. Reference questions and attendance at kids programs increased, as did volunteer hours, website visits and database usage.

CONTINUED BUSINESS:

Kristie gave an update on the Colfax building. We are getting closer to having all items resolved. Carpet representatives have inspected and repaired the carpet. Elevator inspection revealed some specifications that need follow-up from Schindler Elevator.

Kristie gave an update on the Endicott renovation project. Kristie met with committee members at the Endicott Branch. They laid out a fund raising plan for the $118,000 project. They anticipate that 75 % of cost to come from USDA, with remaining 25% from fundraising. German Community dinner will be held on November 7 with a silent auction with proceeds benefiting the Endicott Library renovation. Anyone having any silent auction items to contribute, please let Kristie know. $2700 raised has been raised to date.

NEW BUSINESS:

Kristie introduced Holly Meyer, Colton Branch Manager. She reported on Colton library facts and statistics. Colton has contracted to the library district since 1946. Over 5000 items loan last year with attendance at kids programs over 1000. WCL is looking for a board member from Colton or Uniontown when Leslee Miller retires at the end of this year.

Kristie reported on updates at Albion, Oakesdale and Rosalia branches. An effort to improve branch services WCL gives county residents will be a focus of the coming year. Albion library hired Deborah Thompson, replacing Shannon Slaughter who took another job in Albion. Several staff worked at the Oakesdale branch, assisting in tidying up the branch. Rosalia Branch manager resigned and interviews will be scheduled for next week. Uniontown Branch manager resigned also. We’re hoping two current staff members will share the job until someone is hired. Kristie shared plans of the new Lamont building and reported they took surplus shelving, furniture, etc. from Colfax for the library.

Kristie presented policy manual updates on personnel, gifts, meeting room and appendix F and P, as Resolution’s #04-10 and #05-10. Discussion followed on meeting room use for private use. A motion to accept the meeting room policy was made by Becky. Teresa seconded and the motion passed.

Kristie discussed the personnel policy updates. She noted that many parts of the policy manual will be reviewed by WCL’s Insurance Company, WGEP. The Board suggested adding one reason for termination should be poor job evaluations and also that two weeks notice from employees would be more appropriate. These changes were incorporated with Kristie’s proposed changes. Becky made a motion to accept the manual with the understanding it would be reviewed at the November meeting. Jon seconded and the motion passed.

Leslee asked about Director’s evaluation. It was decided that Becky would spearhead that for the November meeting.

Kristie shared the Daily News issue with Leslee Miller on the front page, A Rural Heritage photo and Kristie’s monthly article all being featured; a good week of coverage for the library.

The next meeting will be November 16 at St. John Branch with dinner to follow at the Rialto. With no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 5:45.

_______________________________________________________
Peggy Bryan, Recording Secretary

________________________________________________________
Kristie Kirkpatrick, Director

______________________________________________________
John M. Aune, Board Chair


For more information, contact:

Kristie Kirkpatrick at 509-397-4366

For a complete list of events and programs happening in all fourteen Whitman County Library branches, visit the Whitman County Library website or the library's events calendar or call the library at 397-4366 or 877-733-3375 toll-free.